Friday, January 07, 2005

Snow Shovels and Shape Shifters

Yesterday was the first real snowstorm of the year; the first one that I could actually enjoy. In order to make the most of a New England snowstorm you need to wake up early in the morning, around six o'clock and from a prone position, reach out from beneath your blankets and place the palm of your hand against a windowpane. Let the cold glass leach all of the heat from your palm and then pull your head out from under the covers and see what kind of damage the snowstorm has done. Yesterday when I peeked out my window, I was delighted to see snow covered tree branches in the early morning light, almost a foot of snow was on the ground and it was still snowing. I jumped out of bed and wrapped myself in my new birthday bathrobe; it is green terry cloth with a hood. Pulling up my hood I went downstairs and popped The Empire Strikes Back into the DVD player, and turned the surround sound up to thirty. I firmly believe that once I decide that it is time to wake up the rest of the world should follow my lead. Certain media complements certain weather conditions; for example on hot muggy days in July, I watch Cape Fear or The Professional. Watching the right movie allows me to make the most of my weather. On snow filled days like yesterday, I like to start my day with Empire and finish it by watching John Carpenters The Thing. In order to maximize the psychological effects of these two films you must time your viewing precisely. I watch Empire early in the morning so that when I go outside to help my family shovel I can pretend I am part of the Rebel Alliance digging in on Hoth preparing to fend off Imperial troops while the last transports make their escape. I make sure to watch The Thing after the sun has gone down, it makes the final shoveling of the driveway more enjoyable. With The Thing fresh in my mind I can let my imagination run wild and my paranoia frequently gets the better of me as I move snow from one side of the asphalt to the other; watching the crepuscular horizon for any signs of approaching monsters. By the time I reenter the house I have worked myself into a frenzy and I begin to scrutinize the mannerisms and actions of my family a little too intently as I try to figure out who is not what they appear to be.

So there it is my first official blog entry, I hope that you enjoyed it. If you didn't then you should read the short story that The Thing was based on and then try to find it in your heart to forgive me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I totally agree about the right movie for the whether... although for me, it's more the right cd for the whether. Opeth's Blackwater Park for the winter. Bad Brains' The Youth are Getting Restless for the summer. You get the idea.

Oh... a nice first post. High five!

Blog on!

3:08 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

im so happy you decided to do this, now i have two friends that i can keep up with their lives without actaully speaking. seriously though, you should keep this up.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home