Monday, January 10, 2005

This Was Going To Be A Post About Flamethrowers...


Photo from unknown source Posted by Hello

This was supposed to be a post about flamethrowers; and the many practical applications thereof that can be found both inside and around the house. Sadly, I was unable to write that post because apparently I cannot upload any pictures to my Blog. This technical glitch has taken all the fun out of my flamethrower post...so I will talk to you very briefly about music videos.

I love music videos, I like watching them, recalling the images from them when I hear a song on the radio. Much to my dismay the music video seems to be a dying art form or music is a dying art form I really can't decide but obviously the two share a symbiotic relationship. In order to research this post fully I awoke at 6:30 am and spent the next 4-5 hours watching the VH1 classic/Mega Hits channels and I was lucky enough to see some of my favorite videos. The videos that I consider great just happen to have been created in the late eighties and early nineties. This is when I came of age so most likely I am prejudiced but the most significant difference that I noticed between these old school videos and their contemporaries is the production values. Most new videos are garish light filled, slick highly overproduction affairs with little or no imagination. From what I saw today most of the older videos were rougher in look and editing, they had a very choppy flow, and almost all of them included some portion that was filmed in black and white. What does all of this mean? I have no idea...but I know what I like and I like this...

Peter Bazooka Who dosen't like the Dead Milkmen? One of my Favorites!
Whats the Frequency? Kenneth. I do not like R.E.M. despite indoctrination attempts but I like this video.
Cannonball Directed by Kim Gordon and Spike Jonez but it feels like someones drunk cousin did.
El Scorcho Who dosen't like Weezer...yeah but it feels spontaneious.
So Whatcha Want Cheap effects+good song=Gold Records.
Loser I mean come on this has a creeping coffin and dancing cemetary girls.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Aye... the music video is a lost art. I'm not really sure what happened, but it seems all of a sudden they're gone... or at least boring.

I know the following will seem a bit played out, but it's the truth. Tool made some amazing music videos. (In fact, Ashley and I just sat down to watch the Tool dvd last week.) What I love about the tool videos is that they are simply a visual interpretation of their music. I feel like if you took Tool's music, put it in vice and squeezed the lifeblood... and then did the same with their videos, you'd get that same raw essence from both. And that's how it should be. Each element compliments each other to form the total sensory package. I think that mentality is lost in this day and age. Sigh...

Now, I have to sleep... before I start talking about Opeth.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home