Monday, August 15, 2005

Sometimes It Pays To Go To Work

Every once in a while it really pays off to go to work in the morning.

Today is one of those days. I stumbled into work this afternoon with the sole intention of finishing half of the Range-finders that I had to create. For those of you not as steeped in the Library Arts as I am; a range-finder is that tag on the end of the book shelf that tells you what books are located in that particular area or "range." Consider yourselves enriched.

Now creating new range-finders is a task that my library has avoided doing for the last twenty years, so I got to start from scratch. This means I had the great fortune of learning how to create templates and stylesheets on MS Word that correspond to diemensions that no one in thier right mind would ever dream of using.

Thankfully I perservered, once the template was setup the job turned into pure data entry so I took this opportunity to explore the podcasting feature embedded in iTunes.

I spent most of my time typing and listening to TWIT which stands for The Week in Tech for those of you not in the know. In the words of one of the commentators TWIT is essentially an Algonquin Round Table for geeks. They discuss technology and gadgets, rumors and innuendo. I find it pretty interesting stuff.

But do not for a moment think that this is what made my arrival at work worthwhile! As I completed one floor's worth of range-finders my coworker came into my office and tossed a copy of the Heavy Metal Encyclopedia on my desk. This is the second time in two weeks that she has finally, after two years of employment, ordered a book that I have requested.



For those of you who do not have a copy of this fine resource at work, run to whomever orders your office supplies and demand that they requsition you a copy or else you will be forced to split thier skull like Dave Mustaine after a three day bender.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Do me a favor... read the entry on Emperor and the one on Mayhem. Tell me which of those two bands actually killed members of their band. I can never remember.

Thanks.

6:37 PM  
Blogger TheDarkLordDerfla said...

Sam,

Emperor: The Drummer was imprisoned for murder.

Mayhem: The lead singer killed himself and the rest of the band allegedly used shards of his skull to make necklaces...and perhaps engaged in cannibalism.

At a later date the Bass player fataly stabbed the guitarist and went on a long church burining spree before ultimately being imprisoned and joining some kind of Aryan/Viking hate group.

See, its a good thing that I had this reference handy!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home