Monday, August 29, 2005

Vampire Hunter Dud



I placed Vampire Hunter D on my Nexflix queue last week and I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. It came over the weekend and I eagerly placed this Special Edition DVD into my player and was completely disappointed.

Before any of you die hard fans freak out on me and remove my feed from your RSS readers let me clarify this statement for you. I was not disappointed by the movie itself, far from it I really liked the concept of a distant future where Vampires and gigantic Werewolves roam the earth and courageous men known as hunters keep them from slaughtering all of the innocent villagers. What disappointed me was the fact that a "Special Edition" DVD could have such piss poor visual quality.

You see I remember standing on the bleeding edge of the DVD revolution; and I remember when a "special edition" meant just that; there was something special about the disc. I realize that this is an older film but surely there was an old Japanese gentleman with a Q-tip and some kind of solvent that could have cleaned up the negative a little bit so that I could actually see what was happening in the scene. Perhaps someone would be willing to digitally remaster this film, because when I watch a movie I want clear visuals. I can handle darkness for effect but not something that seems of poor quality. Especially when I sit down and watch something animated nine times out of ten it is the visual elements that draw me into an animated film.

I don't know maybe Ghost in the Shell as spoiled me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Dude... I know this is a bit unrelated, but your AdSense is right on the money: Gothic Dating, Date Hundred of Thousands Gothic Singles here." You must be raking in the dough!

I'll admit it... I clicked.

7:50 PM  
Blogger TheDarkLordDerfla said...

Pardon me Mr. Donovan; I realized my mistaken inclusion of the Bloodlust photo I just like the cover better. And may you burn in the deepest reaches of hell for even mentioning Pearl Harbor...let alone knowing how many discs are in that shit-fest.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home