Wednesday, March 23, 2005

What Makes The Perfect Weekend?

What makes the perfect weekend? For me the first ingredient has to be a destination. I need a goal or a focus; be it a destination or an activity. This past weekend I was traveling to Central Mass to spend a few days with my girlfriend Colleen. The second ingredient in a good weekend is an early start, if you do not get an early start I estimate that you lose more than a third of your weekend if you are not on the road by 8 o'clock in the morning.

Fortunately this Saturday found me up early and on the Mass Pike by 8 o'clock on the button. I was armed with a full tank of gas, a change of clothes and a mix CD designed for Colleen. As is my custom I preview any mix disc that I burn for friends, think of it as a quality control measure. As is my car's custom on any long trip the CD player began to skip like crazy. This more than anyother reason is why I want an iPod. I can not take the stress of a hour in the car with a skipping CD player, because there is no remedy. I have tried cleaning the discs and the player itself. and I have switched the discs, I have tried numerous inventive ways of inserting the disc, slowly, quickly, gently ect. The end result is always the same the disc skips and I am forced to drive my car gingerly.


Drawing By Mike Posted by Hello

The problem with trying to drive anywhere gingerly at roughly 75 miles an hour is that it cannot be done, and it is exceedingly exasperating to attempt. Thankfully my CD player finally calmed down and I was able to drive like myself again and enjoy the trip to Colleen's house.

Colleen's house rocks. It is the coolest house into which I have ever been invited. For starters it is about as old as this country is and that gives it a sense of history. He family is just as cool as the house and they have always made me feel welcome there even though I am on my best behavior. Why am I on my best behavior? Because Colleen's house is chock full of cool stuff and I have ADD. That means the minute I walk through the door all I want to do is play with all of the cool stuff inside.


Drawing By Mike Posted by Hello

So I try to be on my best behavior so that I do not break anything. I keep my hands to myself when I am there, I don't even touch the armrests on the couch. Sometimes this requires an enormous amount of will power on my part. Especially when I am watching a Lifetime channel movie with Colleen and only a few feet away in plain sight is both an antique cash-register and an antique telephone. Its so hard to resist. But so far I have preservered.

The highlight of the weekend had to be Saturday night when Colleen showed me that there was a little slice of heaven tucked away in one corner of the Providence mall. She took me to Dave and Buster's. For those of you who do not know this is a restaurant that caters to a more adult crowd. You go there eat food, and then play video games for the rest of the night. We played a ton of games and I learned that Colleen is much better at driving simulators than I am; however we are more evenly matched when fighting our way through hordes of bloodthirsty zombies.


Drawing By Mike Posted by Hello


What could possibly be more romantic than a boy and girl fighting off zombies together in a haunted house. Nothing! The only thing that would make that scenario more enjoyable would be to have a few ice cold Red Stripes on hand.





2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Wow... a Red Stripe in one hand, and a rifle in the other. You truly are living the American dream. Wait... Red Stripes are from Jamacia, right?

You are so living the multi-cultural dream.

9:50 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i knew that lifetime was on the tv before i read it, just from your amazing rendering of tracey gold. im so glad you understand what a lifetime movie truly is.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home